Blackheads may be mistaken for ingrown hairs on the body or strawberry legs. Laser hair removal isn’t a solution for blackheads, and you may be able to benefit from some of our tips below and differentiate whether you are suffering from a blackhead or something else. If you have ingrown hairs, then you can find more information on how to manage them alongside laser hair removal treatments, which can help to reduce the risk of getting them by reducing your hair growth which ultimately reduces the hairs from growing and curling back into the skin. Laser hair removal targets the hair follicle at the root to prevent it from regrowth, whereas shaving would remove the hair from the surface of the skin and cause the hair to grow back again.
• What are blackheads?
Blackheads are small dark lesions on your skin due to clogged hair follicles, not trapped dirt. These are called blackheads as the surface looks dark and black.
• Why do we get them?
Blackheads form when a block is developed in the opening of hair follicles in your skin. Other factors that can increase the chance of developing blackheads:
Age and hormonal changes during puberty (spike in sebum production)
Overproduction of skin cells
Covering pores with cosmetics
Health conditions (PCOS and PMS)
*Varies for each person
• How common are they?
Blackheads are really common. Anyone can suffer from them, and almost everyone has dealt with them. They are commonly found on the nose but can also appear on the back, chest, neck, arms and shoulders.
1. It is important to cleanse the skin daily and gently exfoliate. Be careful not to dry up the skin as it can stimulate extra production of oil and further blackheads. You can even opt for an in-clinic treatment like the LaseMD or Hydrafacial
2. Do not squeeze the blackhead, as this can make the problem worse.
3. Scrubbing can lead to more blockages as the scrubbing removes sebum.
4. If you have other skin conditions such as rosacea, this should be treated before as it may also help reduce the blackheads.
5. Be sure to follow removal strips properly as they can damage the skin if misused.