Lisa Borg Dip DCNH, Nutritional Therapist – Lisa is a qualified Nutritional Therapist. She has been practicing nutrition for 8 years across a broad spectrum of health conditions. She has a special interest in Rosacea, and her research, together with hands-on experience, led to the writing of her thesis entitled “The Nutritional Management of Rosacea”.)
Continuing from last week on the subject of lifestyle changes to implement in your battle against Rosacea, this week I want to talk about cleansing your whole body, which is commonly the first action I recommend to clients taking up the challenge of a Nutritional Management Programme.
This is because thoroughly cleansing helps tremendously to speed results. Almost everyone should Follow a Bi-Annual Cleansing / Detoxification Schedule I highly recommend you set aside time, at least once, preferably twice per year to follow a schedule of deep cleansing and extra care of your body, it is more likely then, to give you it’s ‘best’ for the remainder of that year and beyond. My regular clients consider their cleansing programmes as a treat for themselves; I encourage you to do the same. I also encourage you to be guided by an experienced practitioner as to which type of cleansing programme would be best suited to your personal needs.
Any kind of detoxification / cleansing programme is far better than none at all, although for true long lasting benefits you should aim to follow a cleansing programme for between 15 – 30 days.
Less than 15 days is not sufficient to be effective for long term gains, 30 days is optimal and will produce the best results; more than 30 days can be too much of a challenge, but deciding also depends on your motivation, your level of toxicity (how many unwanted symptoms you experience regularly) and how committed you are to your health.
As the minimum I recommend trying and testing for oneself, because the potential gains are immense and each person experiences different results at different times (for example, often after just one week on a cleansing schedule, people report having the energy they had when they were 20). The best times to follow a cleansing / detoxification programme are in Spring (like a spring-clean) and Autumn in preparation for winter when bacteria and viruses thrive.
Those who are less toxic as winter arrives have a stronger immune response and suffer less colds, flu, throat and chest infections etc. Remember there is a strong immune component to Rosacea.
Some Benefits of Cleansing / Detoxing:
• Reduces digestive burden
• Helps get back on track with healthy eating
• Deep Cleansing can removes toxins that have built up over years.
• Results in more energy, healthier looking skin, clearer thinking, and in many cases there will be weight loss, elimination of cellulite, more regular, satisfactory bowel movements, and a more relaxed, less stressed you.
Basic strategies to Support Health / Essential Steps prior to commencing any detox programme:
• Reduce your tea and coffee consumption by one third for three days (e.g. if you drink 3 cups of tea and 3 cups of coffee every day, then reduce to 2 cups of each for 3 days). After 3 days, reduce your tea and coffee consumption by a further one third (e.g. in the example above you would reduce further to one cup of each daily). NOTE: the aim is to be taking 1 cup or less each day of either tea or coffee prior to starting on a detox schedule, as these will be eliminated 100% and replaced with herbal teas, when you begin. You may resume your original intake after the cleansing programme although many people choose not to!
• Once dry from your shower, apply moisturiser all over your body. Be sure it does not contains parabens or harsh chemicals; look for Aloe Vera, Shea Butter, or Olive Oil body moisturisers. Coconut Oil can also be used.
• Eliminate all grains except for Quinoa (a seed) & brown rice, especially short grain.
• Increase your vegetable intake to a minimum of 5 portions daily. Three should be eaten in their raw state, and two lightly cooked (quick stir fry or steamed).
• Increase your intake of water to 8 glasses every day, divided over the day.
• Begin your day with hot water infused with fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp honey.
• Before your shower, gently rub bodily skin with a loofah or an old rough flannel, always working in small circular motions and ALWAYS towards the heart, starting at the feet and working your way up the body. Clockwise over the abdomen.
• Take an Epsom Salts bath 1-2 times per week.
• If you have a blender, start making nutritious smoothies NB: Drinking fresh smoothies or juice should not be a chugging contest. It should be savoured over the course of a few of minutes, much like a nice cappuccino. The tendency is to simply throw them back asquickly as possible. There are 2 problems with doing this. First, digestion is weakened because chewing is not involved. Second, you increase the influx of fructose to the liver and glucose into your bloodstream. Not great, unless you enjoy higher levels of blood triglycerides and shooting blood sugar levels.
The simple solution to these two issues is to drink slowly and chew your liquids. Sit down, take your time sipping, and swirl and chew it as it passes into your mouth. Allowing the juice to spend a moment in your mouth along with lightly chewing it initiates the releases of digestive enzymes into the mouth and hydrochloric acid into the stomach – both of which are necessary for digestion. In doing so, you’ll allow your body to absorb the full spectrum of nutrients from your juices and smoothies.
This Week’s Quote:
“Maintaining one’s health in today’s toxic rich environment requires proper rest, hydration, an abundant intake of nutrients, and regular internal cleansing practices” Gary Hopkins Health Guru
If you would like further information about Rosacea, please visit our Rosacea Treatments Page
If you would like to book a Rosacea Nutritional Consultation or to book a free Rosacea Treatment Consultation, please ring 0207 523 5158 or e-mail [email protected] We are open Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm
Beat The Battle Against Rosacea Today !