One can follow a detoxification programme at any time of year, but traditionally such programmes are best followed at the end of a season in preparation for the natural change in seasonal foods, weather, activity levels, etc. A great time is now – A Spring Clean for the body!
Estimate your own B-T-L by scoring one point for each of the symptoms below:
· Water Retention
· Increase in body fat
· Foggy thinking
· Itchy skin
· Bloating and gas
· Anxiety increased
· Mouth sores
· Unexplained muscle aches
· Weight gain around the abdomen
· Poor concentration
· Loss of libido
· Memory lapses
· Experience more than two colds per year
· Bad breath
· Body odour
· Coated or furry tongue
· Frequent Digestive Discomfort
· Poor exercise tolerance
· Post nasal drip
· Overweight tendency
· Upper abdominal pain on right hand side, just under rib
· Fatigue 1-2 hours after eating
· Hormonal imbalances such as PMS, irregular periods, Thyroid issues, or Acne Vulgaris
· Swollen lymph glands
· Excessive sneezing
· Arthritis or pains in the joints
Evaluation of Your Personal B-T-L score:
A score below 10: this is a good score in today’s toxic world. Following a detoxification programme at regular intervals will help maintain good health and may even eliminate the few symptoms you have.
You can safely follow the detoxification procedure outlined in the free detox download on www.pulselightclinic.co.uk It will take approximately 3 weeks to complete.
A score above 10, but below 15: this is a fair score but symptoms
You can safely follow the detoxification procedure outlined in the free detox download on www.pulselightclinic.co.uk It will take approximately 5-6 weeks to complete. Step one should be completed before moving onto step two, and you must follow each step (from steps 2-??) for 6 days before moving onto the next.
A score above 15, but below 20
You can safely follow the detoxification procedure outlined in the free detox download on www.pulselightclinic.co.uk It will take approximately 7-9 weeks to complete. Step one should be completed before moving onto step two, and you must follow each step (from steps 2-onwards) for 10 days before moving onto the next.
A score above 20:
Following the strategy outlined below may result in adverse reactions. It is advisable for you to seek the assistance of a healthcare professional to help you plan and carry out your own individualized programme. Please fill in the Assessment Questionnaire on www.nutritionalessence.com and our Nutritional Therapist will get back to you within 48 hours.
Suggested Gentle Detoxification Procedure To Lessen Body-Toxic-Load (B-T-L)
Step one: Removal of toxins contributing to B-T-L. In this step you are preparing for the detoxification procedure. There is no time limit for getting through this stage, everyone will be different, according to the level of toxins you are exposed to, and incorporate into your diet and lifestyle (known or unknown).
1. Reduce your coffee and tea consumption by one third for 3 days; continue in this fashion until you are down to half a cup and then eliminate completely.
2. Avoid all processed foods that contain E numbers, additives, colourings, preservatives and salt.
3. Replace Cow’s or Goat’s milk with Organic Coconut milk or Organic Oat milk or Organic Rice milk.
4. Avoid all gluten grains (wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, triticale and oats unless the label specifically states ‘gluten-free’).
5. Avoid all alcohol (if you drink alcohol daily and have done for more than 2 months, this procedure is not suitable for you, please see comment for those scoring 20 or more above).
6. Avoid all Genetically Modified (GM) products/ingredients.
7. Avoid all foods and drinks labelled ‘diet’. They are likely to contain a chemically added sweetener that comes under various names such as Aspartame, Neotame, Splenda, Nutrasweet, Saccharin, or simply ‘sweetener’
8. Avoid all products that contain High-Fructose-Corn Syrup (HFCS), Glucose-Fructose-Corn Syrup, commercially prepared Agave, especially if they appear in the first 5 ingredients on the list.
9. Drink good quality water throughout the day. Make this a habit for life, it is one of the easiest and most health-enhancing things you can do. Avoid drinking with meals to prevent digestive juices becoming diluted and less effective. Herbal teas can also be of benefit such as peppermint, green tea, rose-hip and ginger detox herbal tea (caution with ginger for some Rosacea sufferers).
10. Slowly replace your detergents (household cleaning products and clothes washing powder/liquid and fabric conditioners etc.,) with Eco-Friendly products or investigate how to make your own using natural ingredients. Everyday detergents contain powerful chemicals that may be seriously harmful to the beneficial bacteria in your gut – these are your internal warriors that make up a vast percentage of your immune defences. Do not forget to check gardening products as these are very often highly toxic.
11. Check your personal hygiene products and cosmetics (deodorants, soaps, shampoos, creams, lotions etc.) Scented products, for instance, can contain up to 5,000 different chemicals, many of which have not undergone human toxicology testing.
12. Improve both your water quality and air quality. Invest in a water filter system and ensure good ventilation.
13. Eliminate all commercially bought air fresheners and replace with aromatherapy oil burners if necessary. Smells are warning signs of toxins; it is not always a good idea to mask them with air freshener! Good ventilation, identification of the source of the smell and addressing that would be far better.
14. As needs arise replace all fabric that your skin comes into contact with 100% cotton (start with underwear, bedding and socks). Organic cotton is best but can be very expensive!
15. As need arises replace cookware with high quality ceramics, high grade stainless steel, porcelain, or glass. Use parchment paper instead of baking foil or cling film to wrap cold foods. If you use aluminium cookware you should replace immediately.
Step two: support the 7 elimination channels to encourage detoxification to occur. Follow for 3, 6 or 10 days according to your B-T-L score above.
1. Continue to follow what you have achieved in step one.
2. At least two hours after breakfast and at least two hours before lunch, eat half of an organic honeydew melon.
3. Two hours after lunch and at least 2 hours before supper, eat one small bunch of organic black grapes.
4. Eat one green leafy salad everyday (at the start of any meal).
5. Eat one portion (2-4 heaped tablespoons) of short grain brown rice every day.
6. Have one half to one whole clove of raw organic garlic with any meal (caution, some people with Rosacea are sensitive to garlic). Can be finely chopped or minced and added to salads, soups (once served) or humus type dips.
7. Make a conscious effort to breath properly and maintain good posture.
8. Buy organic ground flaxseeds and add 2 level tablespoons to one of your meals (wet meals like cereals or soup is best).
9. Buy organic produce as much as possible. If this proves too expensive for your budget some is better than none, and focus on your fruits and vegetables, oils, butter, meats and fish.
10. Include high fibre foods in your daily diet such as: cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, sour plums, apples, oranges, cranberries, flaxseed, beetroot, peas, beans, gluten free oats, rice bran, quinoa, buckwheat, and jacket potatoes (organic only).
11. Eat your vegetables raw or lightly steamed only, to retain their nutritional benefits.
12. Use only slow cooking methods such as simmering, steaming, broiling.
Step three: begin detoxifying strategies. Follow for 3, 6 or 10 days according to you B-T-L score above.
1. Continue to follow what you have achieved in steps one and two above.
2. First thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, drink one glass of warm water with 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Wait 20 minutes before eating breakfast.
3. Before your bath/shower, using a dry loofah mitt or an old flannel that is dry and rough (no fabric conditioner used), gently but firmly, with flat handed movements, brush your dry skin from ankle to knee using long strokes. Always start at the ankle and finish at the knee. Go all around the leg and when one leg is complete, repeat with the other leg -ankle to knee in the same fashion. When both lower legs are complete, take your bath/shower. Traditionally skin brushing is performed all over the body, I do not recommend this for people with Rosacea because it stimulates the circulation as well as taking off dead skin cells.
4. Get to bed half an hour earlier everyday.
5. At least once during stage 3, take an Epsom Salts bath (not for washing, just soak for 15 minutes and rinse). Pat yourself dry and ensure to wrap yourself in something warm.
Step four: speed up detoxification. Follow for 3, 6 or 10 days according to you B-T-L score above.
1. Continue to follow what you have achieved in steps one, two and three above.
2. You must now add in 20 minutes extra brisk walking everyday (e.g. get off the bus/train one stop earlier, take the stairs instead of the lift, walk around the block before dinner)
3. Following your morning water with lemon juice, do 5 stretches (arms up towards the ceiling, on tiptoes and hold for a count of 4)
4. Book a lymphatic drainage massage session. The Pulse Light Clinic Team can recommend an experienced therapist for you.
What to expect during any detoxification programme:
Some adverse reactions are to be expected if your efforts are actually causing the elimination of stored toxins. They should not be long lasting or too severe; this would be sign of toxins releasing at a faster rate than your body can eliminate them. If you do experience reactions that are severe cut back on your regime, get extra rest, drink more water and if symptoms persist consult your doctor.
For most, detoxification reactions will be merely irritating, they are a good sign that something is happening; they should not last longer than a day or two (mostly an hour or two) and you should feel an increased vitality when they have passed.
The kinds of reactions that can occur due to detoxification processes are:
Mild, dull headache
Aching muscles or muscle cramps
Fatigue and sleepiness
Skin rashes / outbreaks
Cold or Flu-like symptoms without an increase in body temperature
When you have completed all steps go through the B-T-L list again and see what symptoms have improved or been eliminated. Re-introduce those foods / drinks you have been avoiding slowly. I suggest you have a ‘new’ food once and wait 3 days to monitor reaction, if a symptom returns within these 3 days you can suspect that food to be a contributing factor to non-optimum health
Lisa is a qualified Nutritional Therapist. She has been practising nutrition for 16 years across a broad spectrum of health conditions. She has a special interest in Rosacea, and her research, together with experience, led to the writing of her thesis entitled “The Nutritional Management of Rosacea”.